Reception 2023 - 2024
WELCOME TO RECEPTION 2023-24
A very warm welcome from the Reception class team at Mersey Vale Primary School
Mr Matthew Ellis – Class Teacher
Mrs Emma Harrison - Teaching Assistant/Lunchtime Supervisor
Ms Charlotte Martin - Teaching Assistant/Lunchtime Supervisor
Ms Dani Lansdale - Teaching Assistant
Ms Niki Mayall - Teaching Assistant
Thank you for visiting our webpage. This is a good place to find...
- class news
- pictures of things we have done
- examples of work we are proud of
- homework information
- key sounds and words to practice at home
- class and school events
- links to interesting websites we have enjoyed in class
....and lots more
Thank you to all the new parents who attended our meeting. The slides from our presentation might answer lots of the questions you might have, and they can be accessed by clicking the following link...
Reception Information 2023-24
- Please bring book bags in daily. These are needed to bring home reading books as well as any letters, pictures, or anything else your child does in class.
- Please bring labelled waterbottles in daily. There is no need to bring in a snack as school provides this each morning and afternoon, but some children do prefer to bring their own snack from home. We ask that you support them to choose healthy snacks, for example fruit, crackers, and cereal bars instead of crisps, chocolate or biscuits.
- Most children will bring home a weekly reading book linked to our reading scheme, which they should to read to you. They should read the same book a few times, hopefully becoming more confident and more fluent each time. Please bring these back to school where they will be chaged every Thursday.
- Homework is sent out on Fridays and should be completed and returned by the following Friday. Sometimes this might be on paper, other times it might be digitally through Class Dojo or Purple Mash.
- Children will also begin to bring home a picture book from our class library each week. These will probably be too tricky for the children to read themselves, but they will really enjoy and benefit hugely from having them read to them. Please bring these books back to school every Monday, when they will be swapped for new ones.
- PE lessons happen every Friday. Your child should come to school dressed in their PE kits for the whole day. Please see the link to our New Parents presentation above if you're not sure about our PE kit.
- In our phonics lessons we follow the Read Write Inc. scheme. Children will take part in daily phonics sessions. Each lesson will include learning a new sound, revisiting sounds we've learned in previous sessions, practising handwriting, and guided reading.
- When reading books with children or practising writing with them, try to use the sounds that letters make rather than their letter names. For example, we talk about 'm' as the sound 'mmmmm' and not 'muh' or 'em'. Please also try to draw their attention to the capital letters and try to remind them that capital letters are special and only used for the beginning of names and sentences. They are not found in the middle of words. We follow the letter formation 'stories' or 'ditties' from Read Write Inc. which really help the children remember how to form letters correctly.
This half term in Reception our topic is Outside Inside. We will be exploring our outdoor area to record and discuss any signs that the seasons are changing, and working on activities linked to our two main story books, Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak and Anansi the Spider by Gerald McDermott.
You can see an overview of the main class books we will be enjoying, as well as some of the topics that we will be working on linked to them, and the key events thay will be happening throughout the year here...
We use this game in school to read and recognise key (CVC) words, and match it to the picture shown. Have a go at home!
The children use this splat square to count and recognise numbers. Have a go at home!
Here's the video I've spoken with lots of parents/carers about which shows the correct way to pronounce sounds for phonics work...
Files to Download
Reception: News items
There are no News items to display
Reception: Display work items
There are no Display work items to display
Reception: Events items
There are no Events items to display