Reception 2021 - 2022
WELCOME TO RECEPTION 2021/22!
Welcome to the Reception Class at Mersey Vale Primary School!
Mrs S. Edwards – Class Teacher (Monday – Thursday)
Ms J. Ranson – Class Teacher (Friday)
Mrs C. McDonagh - Class Teacher (Tuesday pm)
We are supported by an amazing team of teaching assistants - Miss Hoey, Mrs Martin, Miss Jilani, Ms Lansdale and Mrs Harrison.
This fantastic page will allow us to share our...
- class news
- pictures of things we have done
- examples of work we are proud of
- class display work
- homework information
- weekly spellings/key words
- class and school events…………………………………………………..and lots more!
Journeys and Transport
Welcome to the second half of our Summer Term!
We can’t believe how fast this year is going, as we now enter the final half term of this year! Over the next half term we will be mainly focusing on getting ourselves ready for Year one, and the transition for our work and ourselves.
Over the next seven weeks we will be looking at the theme of Journeys and Transport. We will be looking at our favourite holidays and our dream journeys; how we’d get there and what we’d do. We’ll also be learning about different countries, weathers, climates and cultures. We will be studying the stories of The Naughty Bus and Whatever Next, as well as The Train Ride, Goodnight Spaceman and Q Pootle 5. We will be developing our literacy skills through creating wanted posters, making passports, holiday check-lists, retelling stories, sequencing stories and writing book reviews.
In phonics we will be continuing to follow our Read Write Inc phonics scheme. Children will be completing either set 2 or set 3 phases now, all learning their special friends. The daily sessions include learning or revising a sound, using Fred talk to read green word cards, learning red tricky words by sight, writing simple sentences using these words and taking part in guided reading sessions. Every child has a reading book which they bring home and change weekly. Children should be reading as often as possible to improve their fluency of reading. I have attached all the red words which relate to the books below.
In maths as well as consolidating our numbers work 1-20 through counting, writing, addition and subtraction skills, we will be looking at shapes, space and measure. We aim to develop our skills in measuring and weighing, as well as learning about time words (before, after, then, next, finally) and preposition words (on top of, next to, in front of, behind). We will begin to look at money and time and understand the concept of estimating.
Hopefully the improvement in weather with the summer coming will mean more outdoor learning can take place. We will continue to develop our creative skills through art, music and role-play. We will be having our sports coach Reese every Thursday, who will be teaching us athletic skills in preparation for sports day on 28th June. Forest School sessions will continue with Miss Wilding on Mondays.
We hope you enjoy the final half term in Reception and thank you for your continued support!
Mrs Edwards and the Reception team.
Reception Information 2021-2022
- Please bring book bags in daily. These are needed for any letters and pictures your child does in class.
- Please bring labelled waterbottles in daily, there is no need to bring in a snack as school provides this each morning and afternoon.
- Children have a weekly reading book which they are to read to you. Please bring this in every Thursday to be changed.
- Homework is sent out on Classdojo every Thursday and needs to be completed and loaded on through the portfolio section on Classdojo by the following Thursday.
- Children have a weekly library book which is to be read to them. Please bring this in every Thursday to be swapped.
- PE is every Thursday. Your child will come to school dressed in their PE kits for the whole day.
- Reception will be taking part in forest school sessions every Monday. Miss Wilding will provide more information on this.
- In writing please keep remembering capital letters are only for beginning of names and sentences and not in the middle of words. We follow the letter formation rhymes from Read Write Inc.
- In phonics we follow the Read Write Inc. schem. Children will take part in daily phonics sessions. This includes learning a new sound, handwriting, reading and guided reading.
Jolly phonics song, to remember phase 2 and 3 letter sounds.
We use this game in school to read and recognise key (CVC) words, and match it to the picture shown. Have a go at home!
The children use this splat square to count and recognise numbers. Have a go at home!
Files to Download
Reception: News items
There are no News items to display
Reception: Display work items
There are no Display work items to display
Reception: Events items
There are no Events items to display