Reception 2020 - 2021
WELCOME TO RECEPTION 2020/21!
Welcome to the Reception Class at Mersey Vale Primary School!
This fantastic page will allow us to share our
- class news
- pictures of things we have done
- examples of work we are proud of
- class display work
- homework information
- weekly spellings/key words
- class and school events…………………………………………………..and lots more!
Mrs S. Edwards – Reception Class Teacher (Monday – Thursday)
Mrs V. Hussein– Reception Class Teacher (Friday)
Mrs E. Harrison – Teaching Assistant (Monday – Friday)
Miss J. Hoey – Teaching Assistant (Monday - Friday mornings)
Miss S. Jilani - Teaching Assistant (Wednesday afternoon)
Mrs S. Naeem – Bilingual Teaching Assistant (Thursday)
Journeys and Transport
Welcome to the second half of our Summer Term!
We can’t believe how fast this year is going, as we now enter the final half term of this year! Over the next half term we will be mainly focusing on getting ourselves ready for Year one, and the transition for our work and ourselves.
Over the next seven weeks we will be looking at the theme of Journeys and Transport. We will be looking at our favourite holidays and our dream journeys; how we’d get there and what we’d do. We’ll also be learning about different countries, weathers, climates and cultures. We will be studying the stories of The Naughty Bus and Whatever Next, as well as The Train Ride, Goodnight Spaceman and Q Pootle 5. We will be developing our literacy skills through creating wanted posters, making passports, holiday check-lists, retelling stories, sequencing stories and writing book reviews.
In phonics we will be continuing to follow our Read Write Inc phonics scheme. Some children are revising set 1 sounds, some have moved onto set 2 and some are consolidating set 2 sounds. The daily sessions include learning or revising a sound, using Fred talk to read green word cards, learning red tricky words by sight, writing simple sentences using these words and taking part in guided reading sessions. Every child has a reading book which they bring home and change weekly. Children should be reading as often as possible to improve their fluency of reading.
In maths as well as consolidating our numbers work 1-20 through counting, writing, addition and subtraction skills, we will be looking at shapes, space and measure. We aim to develop our skills in measuring and weighing, as well as learning about time words (before, after, then, next, finally) and preposition words (on top of, next to, in front of, behind). We will begin to look at money and time and understand the concept of estimating.
Hopefully the improvement in weather with the summer coming will mean more outdoor learning can take place. We will continue to develop our creative skills through art, music and role-play. We will be having our sports coach Owen every Thursday, who will be teaching us athletic skills in preparation for sports day (hopefully!) Forest School will be continuing through the summer term every Wednesday.
It’s been a very different year with many restrictions but we hope to be able to get a sports day in July and a trip in at some point. We have everything crossed for restrictions to be lifted when it is safe to do so. Please keep up to date with any Reception news through our Class Dojo page.
We hope you enjoy the final half term in Reception and thank you for your continued support!
Mrs Edwards and the Reception team.
Here are some starting back to school activities and information which can also be completed at home:
Here is the NHS handwashing song for you to learn:
Reception Information 2020-2021
- In writing please keep remembering capital letters are only for beginning of names and sentences and not in the middle of words.
- In phonics we will be continuing our Read Write Inc. scheme. Please keep practising at home from your plastic folders.
- Please bring book bags in daily. These are needed for any letters and pictures your child does in class. Your child's reading folder with their reading record book in needs to be in it everyday as well.
- Children will bring home reading books weekly to read at home with an adult. These need to be brought back each Wednesday to be changed.
- Reception will be taking part in Forest School every Wednesday morning so will need a pair of wellies to be kept in school.
- Homework is sent out on Classdojo a Thursday and needs to be completed and loaded on through the portfolio section on Classdojo.
- Library book day is Thursday. Please ensure you bring your library book back every Monday so we can put it to one side to give it chance to self-clean before children choose another one on Thursdays.
- PE is every Thursday. Children are to come dressed in their PE kits for the full day on a Thursday. This should be a white/blue tshirt, dark joggers, a blue jumper/zipper and trainers.
Jolly phonics song, to remember phase 2 and 3 letter sounds.
We use this game in school to read and recognise key (CVC) words, and match it to the picture shown. Have a go at home!
The children use this splat square to count and recognise numbers. Have a go at home!
These are just some of the maths games we play in class. The children know how to count the actions, objects or sounds. Some of the harder games are adding or subtracting numbers. Have a go at home!
Files to Download
Reception: News items
There are no News items to display
Reception: Display work items
EYFS - Learning Outdoors, by Mersey Vale Primary School
EYFS Reception - Provision for learning and development, by Mersey Vale Primary School
Reception: Events items
There are no Events items to display