Reception 2020 - 2021
WELCOME TO RECEPTION 2020/21!
Welcome to the Reception Class at Mersey Vale Primary School!
This fantastic page will allow us to share our
- class news
- pictures of things we have done
- examples of work we are proud of
- class display work
- homework information
- weekly spellings/key words
- class and school events…………………………………………………..and lots more!
Mrs S. Edwards – Reception Class Teacher (Monday – Thursday)
Mrs V. Hussein– Reception Class Teacher (Friday)
Mrs E. Harrison – Teaching Assistant (Monday – Friday)
Miss J. Hoey – Teaching Assistant (Monday - Friday)
Mrs M. Aziz - Teaching Assistant (Wednesday - Friday)
Miss S. Jilani - Teaching Assistant (Wednesday)
Mrs S. Naeem – Bilingual Teaching Assistant (Thursday)
Welcome to the first half of our Summer Term!
Between now and the May half term we will be focusing on our new topic of “Food”. In literacy we will be focusing on the stories of Supertato by Sue Hendra, leading into looking at superheroes and their special powers. We will be looking at our favourite meals and foods, healthy eating and fitness, recognising fruits and vegetables and finding out where our foods come from. We will be using all the literacy skills we’ve learnt so far to extend our writing and form simple sentences, using our phonics knowledge, key words and the correct punctuation.
In phonics we will be continuing to follow our Read Write Inc phonics scheme. Some children are revising set 1 sounds and some have moved onto set 2. The daily sessions include learning the new sounds, using our Fred talk to read green word cards, learning red tricky words, writing simple sentences using these words and taking part in guided reading sessions. The children will bring home a reading book weekly which is to be read by themselves to you at home. They need to keep practising to improving their fluency of reading the book.
To cover our Knowledge and understanding of the World learning we will be taking party in weekly Forest School sessions every Wednesday. We will be exploring the outdoor area, planting and growing seeds and caring for the environment. In science we will be looking at the story of Jaspers Beanstalk; planting and growing our own beans. The children will then be writing diaries to monitor and measure how their beans are growing.
In maths we will be extending our skills to count, recognise and form numbers 1-20, as well as developing our addition and subtraction skills of some larger numbers. We will be measuring our beanstalks as they grow and keeping a record of their progress. The children will be developing their ICT skills in maths through various programmes on the computers, ipads and laptops, using surveys and tallies.
In our creative work we will be exploring 2D and 3D art. Using materials, textures and tools to draw and paint our favourite fruit and vegetables, as well as making use of the weather and outdoors by creative some outside art.
Towards the end of this half term we will be joining the celebrations of Eid al-Fitr along with many of our families and friends.
We hope you enjoy the next half term and thank you for your continued support!
Mrs Edwards and the Reception team.
Here are some starting back to school activities and information which can also be completed at home:
Here is the NHS handwashing song for you to learn:
Reception Information 2020-2021
- In writing please keep remembering capital letters are only for beginning of names and sentences and not in the middle of words.
- In phonics we will be continuing our Read Write Inc. scheme. Please keep practising at home from your plastic folders.
- Please bring book bags in daily. These are needed for any letters and pictures your child does in class. Your child's reading folder with their reading record book in needs to be in it everyday as well.
- Children will bring home reading books weekly to read at home with an adult. These need to be brought back each Wednesday to be changed.
- Reception will be taking part in Forest School every Wednesday morning so will need a pair of wellies to be kept in school.
- Homework is sent out on Classdojo a Thursday and needs to be completed and loaded on through the portfolio section on Classdojo.
- Library book day is Thursday. Please ensure you bring your library book back every Monday so we can put it to one side to give it chance to self-clean before children choose another one on Thursdays.
- PE is every Friday. Children are to come dressed in their PE kits for the full day on a Tuesday. This should be a white/blue tshirt, dark joggers, a blue jumper/zipper and trainers.
Jolly phonics song, to remember phase 2 and 3 letter sounds.
We use this game in school to read and recognise key (CVC) words, and match it to the picture shown. Have a go at home!
The children use this splat square to count and recognise numbers. Have a go at home!
These are just some of the maths games we play in class. The children know how to count the actions, objects or sounds. Some of the harder games are adding or subtracting numbers. Have a go at home!
Files to Download
Reception: News items
There are no News items to display
Reception: Display work items
EYFS - Learning Outdoors, by Mersey Vale Primary School
EYFS Reception - Provision for learning and development, by Mersey Vale Primary School
Reception: Events items
There are no Events items to display