Welcome to Reception 2017/18!
Welcome to the Reception Class at Mersey Vale Primary School!
This fantastic page will allow us to share our
- class news
- pictures of things we have done
- examples of work we are proud of
- class display work
- homework information
- weekly spellings/key words
- class and school events…………………………………………………..and lots more!
Mrs S. Edwards – Reception Class Teacher
Mrs E. Harrison – Teaching Assistant and One-to-One Support
Mrs N. Shahid – Teaching Assistant and Bilingual Support
Mrs S. Naeem – Bilingual Teaching Assistant
Miss O. Kirkman – Early Years studies student
Themes for the Summer term
During the first half of our Summer term we will be focusing on our theme of Food. We will be looking at our favourite meals, healthy and unhealthy foods, fruits and vegetables and making fruit smoothies. We will be looking at the stories of Daisy Eat Your Peas and Handa’s surprise; sequencing events, writing sentences, making story stones and investigating which fruits will float and sink.
During the second half of our Summer term we will be focusing on our theme of Journeys. We will be looking at favourite places to go, holiday destinations, transport and travel, and Space. We will be looking at the stories of The first Hippo on the Moon, The Naughty Bus, Q Pootle 5 and Whatever Next. We also have our Airport trip to look forward to in July.
Reception have been very busy this week. We have started our new theme of journeys and transport. We have been looking at different forms of transport, labelling pictures. We have been looking a thing old and new transport and how it’s changed over the years. We have asked ourselves and our friends how we get to school, and have written sentences as well as completed tally surveys. In maths we have been adding numbers to find the total, using number cards. We have also been doubling numbers below ten to find the answer. We have been enjoying the nicer weather by learning more outdoors and have been developing our reading and writing skills through our phonics. We have been enjoying our role play camping area, our new music area outside and have been practising for sports day… Here are a few photos…
- Please practise your phased key words for reading and writing regularly. Every child has a copy of these but please come and ask me if you need anymore. If you feel your child can read these, they can practise writing them. We aim to read with your once a week on a one-to-one basis and encourage you to read regularly with them at home.
- Home work will be sent out on a Wednesday to have a week to complete it and bring it in the following Wednesday. At this stage in the year, we would like all children to be completing this homework and encourage them to do this with your support at home.
Includes: Important information for parents and carers of children in EYFS and getting your child ready for school.
Guidance re: your child’s learning and development in the early years foundation stage.
Jolly phonics song, to remember phase 2 and 3 letter sounds.
We use this game in school to read and recognise key (CVC) words, and match it to the picture shown. Have a go at home!
The children use this splat square to count and recognise numbers. Have a go at home!
These are just some of the maths games we play in class. The children know how to count the actions, objects or sounds. Some of the harder games are adding or subtracting numbers. Have a go at home!